While Oxygen absorbers are rather simple to use, there is a whole lot of misinformation and confusion out there. Should you use them the wrong way, your meals will be destroyed when you need it the most. This could be deadly to you and your loved ones in a Long term disaster as you might wind up with spoiled food that could make you sick. To make sure this does not occur to you, I will teach you how to Use oxygen absorbers correctly to safely store your meals for the long run. Oxygen absorbers are small packets of salt and iron powder which Decrease the degree of oxygen in a container or package. They have been used as an inexpensive and harmless method to preserve food since the early 1990s. The principal objective of oxygen absorbers is to reduce residual oxygen levels within containers or cans to military specifications of less than 2 percent, thus prolonging the shelf life of the food inside.
The main reasons you will want to use oxygen absorber Is to prevent oxidation and to inhibit the growth of mould and bacteria. Both of these things increase the shelf life of the majority of foods dramatically. Oxidation is what causes the deterioration of the colour, taste, taste, nutrition, and texture of foods. Some foods are more vulnerable to oxidation compared to others, but as We will see later in this guide, these foods can be stored long term with oxygen absorbers if you apply the correct type of container. Oxygen absorbers are non-toxic and secure to use. The Packet can be lost through ordinary means and doesn’t need any sort of special method. Live organisms of any kind Can’t live in oxygen free environment, including microorganisms. Insufficient oxygen eliminates the chance that any live organisms can survive, and is a barrier against adult insects laying their eggs there. There are many other reasons to use oxygen absorbers to store your food.
- It enhances the qualities of polyunsaturated fats and oils
- Eliminates the requirement for additives such as sulfur dioxide
- Retains the flavor of coffee and nuts
- Stops oxidation of Vitamins A, C, and E
- Absorbs all oxygen that permeates vacuum packing
- Reduces condensation and oxidation of red pigment sauces and berries
- Reduce mold on fermented dairy products like natural cheeses
- Increases the life of most pharmaceuticals
- Inhibits the growth of pathogens
The food that you store with your oxygen absorbers need to get dehydrated, meaning oil and moisture content decreased less than ten per cent. Otherwise, eating the food could lead to botulism poisoning, a potentially fatal paralytic illness. Certain foods like brown rice or granola bars have a shorter shelf life of 6-12 months due to their oil content. The size of absorbers that you need depends upon both the Size of your container, and of the void area inside the container or the area inside the closed container not consumed by food.